Tuesday, June 06, 2006

LET EVERYONE HAVE A BIBLE

By Lavinia Ngatoko in Challenge Weekly, New Zealand

AUCKLAND, NEW ZEALAND
(ANS) -- Kevin Fuller would like nothing better then to see that every person on earth gets the opportunity to receive a Bible.

The international president of Gideons International has seen time and time again the remarkable changes that reading the Bible can bring to peoples’ lives.

In an interview at the Waipuna Hotel in Mt. Wellington, Auckland, where he joined more than 80 New Zealand Gideons for their 50th jubilee celebrations, Mr. Fuller spoke about his passion for this ministry.

This down-to-earth Aussie bloke lives in Pt Lonsdale, on the coast of Victoria, and is the first non-American to take the helm of the oldest Christian business and professional men's association in the United States, which boasts more than 250,000 members worldwide.
Mr. Fuller decided to join the Gideons after attending at one of their meetings in 1976. He heard a man, who had once been committed to a prison for the criminally insane, talk about how the Bible had completely turned his life around.

“Here was this man who had been drinking methylated spirits, had been involved in shootouts with police and was committed as criminally insane and there he was standing there ... I thought ‘if this is what it’s all about then I’m in.’”

As the administration and finance director of a big retail corporation, he was initially only able to become minimally involved in the group’s activities.

While on holiday with his wife, Anne, he began to ponder an invitation he had received from the Gideons to go on one of their extension action programmes.
“I told my wife, ‘I’m tired of making money for other people. I want to do something in my life that’s going to make a difference in the world. I’d love to go to one of these programmes’ and she said, ‘Why don’t you do it today?’.

“My wife had led me to the Lord when I was about 25, you see, so when she says something like that I listen.”

Mr. Fuller forthwith gave up his high-flying business career and flew off to Belgium and Portugal – a trip, he says, that changed his life.

“We gave out about 200,000 scriptures in two weeks. I’d never distributed scriptures on the street before. These people went crazy to get them. They were coming out of their houses and out of their schools - they just tore the boxes apart crying out for one.”
MORE:
http://www.assistnews.net/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home